Women in Film & Video DC 〉 Membership 〉 FAQ
1. Why should I join WIFV?
As a WIFV member, you will make new connections, have access to more resources and join a network of advocates for a stronger media industry in this region.
2. How do I apply?
- You can apply online.
- You can join at an event. The new member processing fee will be waived and you will receive the member entrance rate for that event.
- You can download the membership application and either scan or mail it to the WIFV office.
- You can stop by the WIFV office and fill out an application.
- You can call the WIFV office at 202.429.9438 and have the staff mail you a copy of the membership form.
3. Does it matter what time of the year I join?
No, it doesn’t. Your new membership term will run for 12 months from the date you join. WIFV will notify you 30 days in advance of your membership renewal date.
4. Can men join WIFV?
Yes, men are welcome to join WIFV. In fact, our current membership is nearly 20% men.
5. Are there different levels of membership?
There are four levels of membership: General, Executive, Student, and a Dual Membership with affiliated Women in Film groups.
6. Are there any membership requirements?
Yes, there are requirements for each of our member levels. Those requirements are as follows:
- General We welcome all individuals who are working in the screen-based media industry or interested in developing their screen-based media skills, and who are not eligible for membership as Student Members. General Members are entitled to vote in the WIFV Board of Directors election.
- Executive The Executive Level requires 10 years experience in the screen-based media industry. Executive Members are entitled to vote in the WIFV Board of Directors election.
- Student Individuals who are enrolled in a full or part-time basis at an accredited university, college, or professional or vocational training program, or high school, or who have graduated from such institution within the year prior to initiating or renewing membership with WIFV. Student Members are not entitled to vote in the WIFV Board of Directors election. A copy of student identification is required.
- Dual Individuals who, at the time of initiating or renewing membership with WIFV, are members of another Women In Film organization, as determined by the Executive Director. Dual Members are not entitled to vote in the WIFV Board of Directors election. Some partner organizations make this option available to WIFV Executive Members only.
7. What is the annual cost of joining WIFV?
- General membership dues are $135.
- Executive membership dues are $220.
- Student membership dues are $60.
- Dual membership is $75.
Note: there is a one-time $10 processing fee for new members. It is waived if you join at an event.
8. Is there reciprocity with other Women in Film organizations?
As a member of WIFV, you are automatically connected with Women in Film & Television International (WIFTI) and WIFT-US, which are your links to other affiliated organizations. We welcome members from these groups and offer reciprocal benefits. If there is a charge for a program, you qualify for a discount off the public price. The discount code will be provided by the affiliated organization.
9. How do I connect with other WIFTI organizations?
Visit www.wifti.net for links to the other WIFTI organizations worldwide.
10. How can I connect with other WIFV members?
The best way to reach out to other WIFV members is through our member-only listserv. The listserv puts the expertise of 900 media professional at your fingertips. Members use the listserv to post jobs, gain on the spot technical advice, learn about training opportunities, screenings and grants, and keep up on industry happenings. The listserv guidelines are here.
11. How can I reach a Board Member or staff?
Board members provide their email addresses through the directory or you can call the WIFV office at 202.429.9438 and we will forward your message. You can email Melissa Houghton, WIFV Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. What is the best way to get involved with WIFV?
Join a committee or volunteer to develop a program. WIFV produces nearly 100 programs each year so there are plenty of opportunities to roll up your sleeves and help out. Roundtables allow you to meet with members who share your interests and are a great way for you to begin networking.